The City of Frederick is excited to announce the opening of its search for Chief of Police of the Frederick Police Department today, September 14, 2020. The job posting is available for application and will remain open for thirty (30) days.
To support the search, the City will be engaging the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) to serve as consultants; an external search committee to engage various community stakeholders and work with the IACP in reviewing the first round of applicants; and an internal selection committee to assist the Mayor in conducting a final review of the applicants.
The External Search Committee includes the following individuals:
- Derek Shackelford, Alderman
- Julia Schaeffer, Resident
- Kiesha Edmonds, Housing Services Representative
- Willie Ollie, Resident
- Danielle Doll, Business Community Representative
- Kavonte Duckett, Human Services Representative
- Eliezer Valentin-Castanon, Religious Community Representative
- Nkem Wellington, Resident
- Teresa Bean, Education Representative
- Sgt. Jonathan Shatlock, FPD Representative
- Chelsea Kadish, Legal Community Representative
- Karen Paulson, Staff Liaison
- Gayon Sampson, Staff Liaison
The search process will include various community outreach activities and a thorough review of the candidates. A tentative timeline includes:
Phase One (September/October)
- Job description remains open for 30 days
- External search committee engages the community on preferred qualities, qualifications, and experiences of a future police chief
Phase Two (October/November)
- External search committee and IACP conduct a preliminary review of applicants and determine the first round of interviewees
- External search committee and IACP conduct the first round of interviews
- External search committee submits candidate recommendations to Mayor O’Connor
Phase Three (November/December)
- Mayor O’Connor and the internal selection committee will review the search committee’s recommendations, conduct final interviews, and select finalists
- Finalists will meet with community stakeholders (to be determined)
- Mayor O’Connor selects his final candidate for consideration and approval by the Board of Aldermen.
Former Chief Ed Hargis retired in February 2020. At that time, Deputy Chief of Police Patrick Grossman was named Acting Chief of Police for the Frederick Police Department.
Updates will be provided throughout the search at frederickmd.gov/chiefsearch.