FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 27, 2019
FPD and DFRS Offer Safety Tips for the Holiday Season
FREDERICK, MD – The holiday season is here, and the Frederick Police Department and the Frederick County Division of Fire and Rescue Service have collaborated to create a holiday safety video. We realize that this is a hectic time of year and with so much going on, we can be forgetful. By following these tips, we are hoping to make your holidays a little brighter. The video will be featured on both agency's social media sites as well as can be viewed by clicking here.
If you are shopping
- Stay alert and know your surroundings.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash, pay with credit cards and only carry what you need. Remove all non-essential items from purses and wallets.
- Park in a well-lit area and be sure to lock the car, close the windows, and hide shopping bags and gifts in the trunk.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages, make frequent trips to the car.
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings.
- Shopping with kids? Teach your kids to go to a store clerk or security guard if they become separated.
- If you see suspicious activity – report it.
If you are ordering online
- Make sure your PC has antivirus software and a firewall.
- Shop only from reputable sites.
- Make purchases with a credit card instead of a debit card.
- Monitor your credit and banking accounts regularly.
Use strong passwords to secure your online accounts.
- Have mail order items shipped to a reliable address and track packages. Do not let packages sit on doorsteps
Lock it, Hide It, and Remove it
- Lock your vehicle, house, garage, shed all the time. It only takes a few seconds for someone to take your valuables.
- Hide any valuables that you have in your vehicle. Never leave items in plain view!
- Remove all valuables from the vehicle when possible – money, computers, GPS units, cell phones, purses, etc.
Drinking and Driving
- If you are going to drink alcohol away from home, do it responsibly.
- Designate a driver
- Call a friend or family member; take a cab, Uber, Lyft, or SOS Safe Ride.
Winter Holiday Safety Tips
- Inspect electrical decorations for damage before use.
- Do not overload electrical outlets.
- Keep trees fresh by watering daily.
- Use battery-operated candles.
- Stay in the kitchen when something is cooking.
- Turn off, unplug, and extinguish all decorations when going to sleep or leaving the house.
Deep Frying Safety Tips
- Keep outdoor fryers off decks, out of garages and a safe distance away from trees and other structures.
- Make sure the turkey is thawed and dry before cooking. Ice or water that mixes into hot oil can cause flare-ups.
- Do not overfill the fryer with oil
- Place the fryer on a level surface, and avoid moving it once it is in use.
- Leave 2 feet between the tank and the burner when using a propane-powered fryer.
- Have a fire extinguisher on hand
The Frederick Police Department and Frederick County Division of Fire and Rescue Services would like to wish you a happy and safe holiday season.