News Flash Home
The original item was published from 4/6/2016 9:23:45 AM to 4/23/2016 12:05:02 AM.

News Flash

Frederick News

Posted on: April 6, 2016

[ARCHIVED] The City of Frederick Signs MOU with MORE

The Mid-Atlantic Off-Road Enthusiasts (MORE) will care for the City’s Municipal Forest and Watershed Trails for the next 15 years.

The City of Frederick Signs MOU with MORE

Frederick, MD – April 6, 2016: The Mid-Atlantic Off-Road Enthusiasts (MORE) will care for the City’s Municipal Forest and Watershed Trails for the next 15 years.

MORE was selected as the trail caretakers for their volunteer capacity, substantial volunteer training requirements, knowledge of sustainable trail building and maintenance standards, and ability to secure grant funding.

With assistance from Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR), the City is identifying areas where trails and sensitive habitat overlap and determining the best course of action. Many of the Watershed’s more than 50 miles of trails are unsanctioned and some trails that damage sensitive wildlife habitat may be rerouted or closed. With DNR’s guidance, MORE and the City will ensure a sanctioned network that does not damage habitat and is sustainable.

The Catoctin Blue Trail, a 27-mile path that begins in Gambrill State Park, traverses through the Watershed, Cunningham Falls State Park, and terminates in Catoctin National Park, will remain. Though the trail has been a mainstay of the Watershed for many years, it was built on old fire roads and much of it is highly eroded. About 12 miles of the Catoctin Blue Trail traverse through the Watershed.

The Watershed is a 7,000-acre forest that protects about 20 percent of the City’s water supply. It is the only water supply in which the City has sole control. The remaining 80 percent are shared resources that lie in other jurisdictions. Water quality is the primary concern in the Watershed, however, the City recognizes it also is important to foster stewardship in the area to build a better understanding of the value of this space. MORE will be a critical part of building that stewardship by providing experiences for hikers, bikers, foragers, hunters, and many other users on sustainable trails.

For additional information, contact Jenny Willoughby, Sustainability Manager for The City of Frederick, at jwilloughby@cityoffrederick.com .

###

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Frederick News

Field & Court Scheduling In Process

Posted on: February 22, 2024
logo

Mayor O'Connor to call for closed session

Posted on: February 20, 2024

HPC Training Session, February 28, 2024

Posted on: February 16, 2024
logo

City of Frederick Budget Town Hall Meetings - 2024

Posted on: February 15, 2024 | Last Modified on: May 4, 2022
logo

Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) Site Visit on Thursday, February 8, 2024

Posted on: February 2, 2024 | Last Modified on: May 4, 2022

2024 Annual Tree Frederick Store Launches

Posted on: February 1, 2024 | Last Modified on: May 4, 2022
00-Title

7th Street - Road Closure Update

Posted on: January 22, 2024 | Last Modified on: May 4, 2022

Snow Emergency, January 19, 2024

Posted on: January 19, 2024
FREDERICK_MAIN_LOGO_SEAL_MD_BLUE

City To Issue Taxicab Permits

Posted on: April 28, 2023
342996062_744770860656397_8387910145342307932_n

City to conduct fire hydrant flushing

Posted on: April 26, 2023
FPD logo

2023 Frederick Running Festival

Posted on: April 20, 2023

Mayor O'Connor announces FY24 budget

Posted on: March 31, 2023
Department-Public-Works_BLUE

Temporary Closure of Shared Use Path

Posted on: March 15, 2023
3P9A2144

Mayor O’Connor appoints City Attorney

Posted on: December 27, 2022
FREDERICK_MAIN_LOGO_SEAL_MD_BLUE

Holiday Closures | City of Frederick

Posted on: December 22, 2022
FREDERICK_MAIN_LOGO_SEAL_MD_BLUE

Mayor O'Connor to call for closed session

Posted on: December 12, 2022
Donald Myers

FPD makes arrest in Weapons Complaint

Posted on: September 11, 2022

HPC public hearing canceled

Posted on: September 7, 2022

Independence Day service changes

Posted on: June 29, 2022

City to issue taxicab permits

Posted on: April 29, 2022
Water Report Ad-COF Updated 4-26-22

2021 City Water Report now available

Posted on: April 29, 2022
freecycle 2

Spring Freecycle event this Saturday

Posted on: April 11, 2022
FREDERICK_MAIN_LOGO_SEAL_MD_BLUE

HPC to hold site visits

Posted on: March 21, 2022

Sewer work to impact roads March 8-9

Posted on: March 7, 2022