The Frederick Police Department would like to inform the community of crime trends within the City
As the warmer weather approaches, the Frederick Police Department is urging community members to lock and secure their residences, garages, outbuildings and vehicles to assist with growing theft from motor vehicle and burglary reports throughout Frederick City. This release comes after the finding that approximately 49% of all burglaries and 81% of theft from motor vehicles in Frederick City for 2015 have stemmed from suspects entering unlocked or unsecured buildings, properties or vehicles.
The Frederick Police Department offers the below recommendations to assist in preventing community members from becoming a victim to the above mentioned crimes.
Theft from motor vehicle:
- Close vehicle windows and lock doors
- Remove valuables from inside of the vehicle or keep them out of view
- Remove all “pull out” style radio faceplates
- If available, park your vehicle in your driveway as opposed to the street
- If available, park your vehicle in your secured garage
- Do not leave keys in vehicle
- Do not leave garage door opener in plain view
- Lock all doors and windows when the home is not occupied
- Shut and lock all garage doors, outbuildings or gates
- Leave lights on when you are not home
- Don’t allow daily mail, newspapers or flyers to build up outside of residence
- Arrange for your lawn to be mowed if away for an extended time
- Install deadbolt locks on exterior doors
- Keep all bicycles, mowers or outside equipment out of sight and secured in a building
Working in partnership with the community, it is the goal of the Frederick Police Department to reduce crime throughout the City and provide its citizens with professional and courteous police services. In doing so, the Frederick Police Department asks anyone with information on burglaries, thefts or other crimes to report them by calling 301-600-2100. Callers who wish to remain anonymous may contact the Frederick Police Department’s Crime Tip Line at 301-600-TIPS (8477).
Incident Type: Community notification
Location: Frederick City
Author of release: Sgt. Jon Holler at 301-600-6388 or email@example.com