The Frederick Police Department would like to advise the downtown residents, businesses, and those visiting the downtown historical district of the “Non-motorized wheeled vehicle ordinance of the City of Frederick (Sec. 22-28.1).
The Frederick Police Department will be enforcing this ordinance through education of bicyclists and skateboarders. We will also be issuing either municipal infractions or Maryland Uniform complaint and citations. (Motor Vehicle Citation) The department wants to remind all bicyclists that they need to follow the rules of the road while traversing the downtown roadways.
Also the Frederick Police department wants to remind all of those utilizing their bicycles to secure them to the new back racks located throughout the downtown area that were recently purchased by Downtown Frederick Partnership.
The purpose of this education and enforcement is to reduce persons utilizing non-motorized wheeled vehicles within the Downtown Historical District in an illegal manner. This will in turn make the sidewalks safe for those pedestrians that are walking within the Downtown area.
Below are the requirements within the ordinance:
• Skateboards and bicycles are prohibited on the sidewalks of the downtown area.
• Skateboards are also prohibited along Carroll Creek Linear Park.
• Only bicyclists 10 years old and younger can ride on the sidewalks of the downtown area.
• All bicyclists along Carroll Creek Park must ride in a responsible manner and accordance with the City municipal laws and state laws.
• Any type of stunt, trick or dangerous riding is strictly prohibited and violators are subject to a fine.
• All violations are subject to a Municipal fine of $100.
We want to encourage bicyclist/skateboarders to abide by the City’s Municipal ordinance and the Maryland Transportation article when it comes to utilizing their non-motorized wheeled vehicles. The Frederick Police Departments goal is to obtain voluntary compliance of this ordinance. By obtaining this compliance it will make the Downtown Historic District a safe and fun place for everyone within Historic Downtown Frederick.
Arresting Officer: N/A
Officer Preparing Release: Cpl. Charles A. Snyder #341
Investigating Officer: N/A
Case Report Number: N/A
NAC: 9, 10, 11